Hello, and a very warm welcome to Millwood School. I am delighted to introduce myself as the Headteacher and feel extremely honoured and privileged to have been chosen by the Governing Body to continue to build upon the successes the school has already achieved
Millwood is a place where everybody matters. We pride ourselves on going the extra mile and making a difference to the pupils and families in our school community, and beyond. We are a school where entitlement, opportunity and challenge are championed.
We believe in making your children ‘world class’ learners, developing in them a confidence and thirst for knowledge, enabling them to realise their talents and create their own future.
We do this by:
- Providing a broad, balanced, enriched and creative curriculum that is ambitious and designed to give learners the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life.
- Providing a curriculum that will continue to evolve and be responsive to 21st century learning needs including sustainability and global awareness, as well as ensuring it equips each learner with the essential skills for future success in their next steps.
- Providing a myriad of memorable learning experiences and opportunities that thrill, inspire and promote a lifelong love of learning for learners, thus ensuring that they fulfil their unique potential.
- Preparing learners for life in modern Britain. We support them to become responsible, respectful, active citizens who contribute positively to society, developing their understanding of fundamental British values, developing their understanding and appreciation of diversity, and by celebrating what we have in common and promoting respect for the different protected characteristics as defined in law
- Focusing on improving staff’s subject, pedagogical and pedagogical content knowledge to enhance the teaching of the curriculum and the appropriate use of assessment. We recognise that by investing in the ongoing professional development of our team members we are also investing in the development of each learner.
- Providing a safe, happy, calm and well-ordered environment for all learners and staff, focused on safeguarding and risk management.
Our Curriculum is designed to enable learners to access the Early Years or National Curriculum, developing their skills and knowledge using strategies and interventions that help to reduce the impact of their barriers to learning. We deliver our curriculum in two year topic cycles and through a host of curriculum enrichment days, weeks and events. Our curriculum is organised into three pathways.
- For learners who need pre-subject specific learning.
- For learners who need semi-formal subject specific learning.
- For learners who need formal, subject specific learning.
All of our children have Learning Plans linked to their Education Health and Care Plan
Our curriculum extends beyond the academic. It provides for learners’ broader development, enabling them to discover and develop their interests and talents, and supports learners to develop their character, (including their resilience, confidence and independence), and help them know how to keep physically and mentally healthy. We have achieved the Healthy Schools Status reflecting the school-wide commitment to physical health and well being
Further information about our curriculum is available on our website.
We have high expectations for all learners in school and set challenging targets for them. We also have high expectations for learners’ behaviour and conduct and apply these expectations consistently and fairly. We are a school that practises unconditional positive regard for all.
We are a school that values and actively promotes working in partnership with parents and carers. We have been awarded the Leading Parent Partnership Award. Parents and carers engage in the annual parental questionnaire each summer. 100% of parents and carers who responded to the Summer 2021 questionnaire agree that Millwood is an inclusive and welcoming school, we keep your child safe, we celebrate their successes and achievements, that we promote your child’s physical and emotional wellbeing and that they made the right decision in choosing Millwood. Additional comments include:
“Millwood is a fantastic school and we feel very fortunate that …. has a place. Throughout her time at Millwood, since Reception, every member of Millwood staff has supported ….and her family. We couldn't ask for a better school. Thank you for all that you do”
“This is a place that accepts, includes and values …. like no other place. I truly believe that he will reach his full potential at this school.”
“This school is outstanding in all areas, I’m so pleased and grateful to you all for catering to my child’s needs. He has been at Millwood for a number of years now and is so much more independent than we ever thought and this is down to the help and encouragement from staff at this excellent school”
“We are grateful EVERY SINGLE DAY that …. goes to Millwood”
"Fantastic school! …. is coming along great! Thank you for everything you are doing!"
The school is nurturing, accepting, caring whilst fulfilling whatever potential each child has. It is also fantastically designed and staffed with wonderful people who are caring and supportive to us as well”
Parents and carers receive a weekly newsletter, which is available on the school website, and receive weekly WOW moments via Seesaw. We have a number of key events in the school calendar that we invite you into school to be a part of; our Christmas performances, Prize Day, and 3 times a year Parent and Carers Evenings, to name a few.
We work in partnership with other professionals in Education, Health and Social Care. We meet every two weeks with our colleagues in the SEN team and host half termly Health and Therapy meetings in school to ensure collaboration beyond school, further developing effective relationships with colleagues in other public sectors to improve outcomes for our children and families. These powerful meetings facilitate liaison across services ensuring that barriers to learning are removed in a timely manner. Safeguarding brings everyone’s information together to build a bigger picture for the child, to improve their lived experience
Safeguarding and Child Protection are at the centre of everything we do at Millwood and we work hard with families and colleagues from Health and Social Care to enable learners to have the best outcomes. We employ a Child and Family support worker who responds to requests for Early Help Support directly from families or from other professionals. We have fortnightly meetings with colleagues on the Children with Disabilities Team and participate in multi-agency meetings for learners who are the subject of a multi-agency plan or who are Looked After. Where we have any concerns about the safety or wellbeing of learners we will consult with the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub and follow their advice.
Caroline Henley, Deputy Headteacher, is the Designated Safeguarding Lead. Catherine Lomax is the Child and Family Support Worker.
We are a Rights Respecting School and have been awarded the Silver Award- Rights Aware, from UNICEF. Children’s rights are embedded in our vision, values and ethos
At the core of Millwood School is the right of all learners to an outstanding education and supported access to all articles in the United Nation Convention on the Rights of the Child.
We are an inclusive school and have achieved the Bury Inclusion Quality Mark and the National Inclusion Quality Mark.
We have a skilled and committed Governing Body who understand their role and carry this out effectively. They ensure that we have a clear vision and strategy and that resources are managed well.
Our Chair of Governors is Debi Walker and our Vice Chair is Eve Ryan.
Please have a look at the Governing Body page on our website for further information.
I hope you enjoy looking around the website and find it useful in gaining a clear insight into what we have to offer at Millwood School.
Please contact Katherine Ashworth (School Business Manager) for queries or if you require any further information.
With very best wishes